Sunday, September 03, 2006

Luck or Skill Part II

Many of the people in my life know that I'm a serious poker player and that I've made some money Texas Hold'em playing online yet they still like to challenge me from time to time. Tonight I had dinner at a friends house and the subject of Texas Hold'em and The World Poker Tour came up. A fellow dinner guest mentioned that he'd like to learn the game, so we ended up playing poker.

The cards were on my side that night my first hand was pocket fives and I flopped a set. In the second hand I had quad 7's by the turn. In the third hand my top pair was enough to take down the pot. The same pattern repeated itself all night. The bottom line is that I was getting lucky against calling stations. You don't need much skill to rake in the chips in a game like that. The only "trick" I used was making bets and raises just big enough to keep people calling. Suddenly everyone was asking me how I was doing it. They know about my website but rarely ask for poker advice. As if I could teach them how to get lucky!

The real tragedy in all this was that because we were teaching someone to play we weren't playing for real money! I have to go cry myself to sleep now.

Comments on "Luck or Skill Part II"

 

post a comment